Posts tagged namespace
On a recent project, I ran into a problem with an XML document, that had to be enclosed within another XML document, generated from a database query. The problem I ran into was the character encoding of the XMLElement function, which eventually was worked around with UPDATEXML.
In this blog post I would like to share with you several attempts to solve this problem, why they failed and the final solution to the problem.
Printing of official documents happened in a separate printing module. Whenever a document needed to be printed, an XML document was generated in a database query and sent to the printing module. Most of the data came from relational database tables, but pieces of standard text were supplied as XML documents by another party… and saved in our database in an XMLType column based on CLOB storage.
Our printing module expected to find these standard text XML documents within a tag in our generated XML document. Also both XML documents, our generated XML and the supplied XML, had different namespaces, this needed to maintained this way. The Oracle database version we were working with was 10.1.0.5.0.
In this post I will use a simplified version of the real XML More >
While looking into the XML functionality in JDeveloper 11g, I came across a feature that was added in the 126.96.36.199.0 release – July 2009: [Create] XML Schema from XML Document. Functionality previously found in commercial products such as XMLSpy, that enables us to make a head start with the development of XML Schema Definitions by using an existing XML Document as starting point.
In this article, I will very briefly demonstrate what this functionality allows us to do. And what its current limitations are.
In short: we can indicate an XML document and have an XSD created that derives its element, type and attribute definitions from the actual XML content in that document. Most XML documents do not represent the entire set of restrictions and freedom that the XSD will describe, so the generated XSD is only a starting point – but a very useful one all the same.
At this moment, the XML source document has to exist on the file system (we cannot feed the tool with a URL). The created XSD document does not work well with multiple namespaces – as well will see in this example. The tool does not create named (complexTypes) – only (nested) elements. It does create, when so requested, More >