Two tips Using XAMPP, Apache, Tomcat on Windows 7 (getting started)
Here are some practical tips for getting XAMPP running on your Windows 7 machine. I use this for getting my Hudson / Maven / Sonar demonstation environment.
There are two issues that can save you a lot of time when you know how to solve them.
- Windows 7, 64 bit.
- Xampp 1.7.4 with Tomcat 7 included. (install via windows installer, nexted through install menu, no special things)
After running the installer there are two issues:
- Apache does not start
- Tomcat will only run command line and not as a Windows service.
1. Apache does not start.
The XAMPP control panel does nog give any feedback andÂ command line : apache_start.cmd gives the following error:
Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden
Bitte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen
Please close this command only for Shutdown
Apache 2 is starting …
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.Â : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
Apache konnte nicht gestartet werden
Apache could not be started
It seems there is already a process running on port 80. This is the World wide web publishing servicer
Solution : Stop and disable this service and start apache. Voila.
2. Tomcat will only run command line.
After this step I discovered Tomcat has no option on the Xampp control panel. You can start tomcat by gaining to [xampp-home]\tomcat\ and run catalina_start.bat.
Problem is that you will have to have the command window always open and you cannot run this on your server.
In the \tomcat\bin folder you will find â€œservice.bat. Via the command service install you can install tomcat as a service. This command gives the following error.
Installing the service ˜Tomcat7™ …
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\xampp\tomcat
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\xampp\tomcat
Using JAVA_HOME: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21
Using JRE_HOME: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\jre
Using JVM: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
Failed installing ˜Tomcat7™ service
You can fix this by altering the properties of tomcat7.exe and tomcat7w.exe. Change the compatibility to run as administrator and the service will install. Again, voila.
Hope you find these tips helpful. Good luck.
- Java Platform Debugger Architecture (JPDA) with Tomcat, OC4J, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA and JDeveloper
- Getting started with Java Server Faces (JSF) using Apache MyFaces – in JDeveloper 10.1.3EA
- (Pre)-compiling JSP for Tomcat with Jasper
- Installing Tomcat5.5 and integrating it with Apache 1.3
- How to start/stop OC4J-standalone as a Windows service