Comments on: Installing Oracle XE under Debian/(K)Ubuntu is easier than Windows Friends of Oracle and Java Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:59:44 +0000 hourly 1 By: Borkur Steingrimsson Sun, 06 May 2007 02:21:41 +0000 I do wish installing OBIEE on Ubuntu had been as easy. :) But I did manage in the end …
You can read about it on my blog:


By: Matt Bunter Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:13:53 +0000 There are some great docs to get the newbie up and running at :


Application Express is also really easy to use.

By: Andre Crone Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:41:40 +0000 I installed Oracle 10gR2 enterpise edition on Fedora Core 5. Bit more difficult, but until now it runs perfectly.
The main trick is that you have to modify a linking script before the linking step starts. And you have to fool the installer that you are running RedHat4. I found a perfect howto at:

By: Marco Gralike Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:17:39 +0000 One ever tried to secure (correctly install) oracle software under Windows without using local admin… Windows Linux = BIG difference (i like ux)

By: Jeroen van Wilgenburg Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:25:15 +0000 Under Windows you had to find and download the .exe and tell Oracle that you’re not a friend of Osama Bin Laden. But the difference is not too big, you’re right about taht, installation of XE under Windows can be done with a few clicks.

By: Niall Litchfield Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:23:44 +0000 Hi

I agree that it is simple and reliable, I’m not sure that I’d agree that it was easier than windows though, that is just a double click on a downloaded .exe and off you go.

By: Wouter van Reeven Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:19:49 +0000 I did the same thing a few weeks ago. One of the problems I ran into was this.

The Oracle XE Debian package by default installs all files into /usr/lib/oracle. On my system I didn’t have enough space on the partition that contained /usr/lib so I created a symlink from /usr/lib/oracle to another partition and then installed Oracle XE.
The installation went OK, but running the “oracle-xe configure” part generated loads of errors. Only when I resized the partition and made sure enough disk space was available, everything went OK.

Please note there also is an Oracle XE Client package available. On my Debian desktop pc I have installed this package. After that, I manually had to create a network/admin directory in the client install dir and add a tnsnames.ora file to that containing the correct configuration for my XE database. After modifying my .bashrc file in my home dir to always load the settings in the script I can now use sqlplus from the command line to connect to my XE database using the SID specified in tnsnames.ora :-)

Greets, Wouter