Books: reviews, tips, announcements, etc.
Title: Beginning Oracle Programming Authors: Sean Dillon, Christopher Beck, Thomas Kyte with Joel Kallman and Howard Rogers Publisher: Apress ISBN: 1-59059-286-7 Publication Date: Sep 2003 Website: http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=253
Title: Mastering Oracle PL/SQL: Practical Solutions Authors: Christoper Beck, Joel Kallman, Chaim Katz, David C. Knox, Connor McDonald Publisher: Apress ISBN: 1-59059-217-4 Publication Date: Dec 2003 Website: http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=276 More info can be found at the Publisher’s website. The source code is available for download.
Title: Oracle Database 10g A Beginner’s Guide Authors: Ian Abramson; Michael Abbey; Michael Corey Publisher: McGraw-Hill Osborne Media ISBN: 0072230789 Publication Date: March 31, 2004 Website: http://shop.osborne.com/cgi-bin/osborne/0072230789.html
The setup of the book is nice, with progress checks to monitor how well you understand the chapter you just read and sample exercises. Every now and then there’s a “Ask the Expert”-section which gives you answers to fictitious questions. Some of these raise an eyebrow, ’cause the explanation for the answer is not always given. From the publisher’s website there’s a sample chapter to download. The code used in this book is also available for download. (more…)
The April shipment of new books has arrived. Some books are in the library, others immediately went home with some of my esteemed colleagues. Some of the books in this shipment:
- Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB by Rod Johnson, Juergen Hoeller # Publisher: Wrox (June 21, 2004) (two copies)
- Spring in Action Craig Walls and Ryan Breidenbach February 2005, 472 pages (Manning) ISBN 1932394354
- Pro Spring By Rob Harrop, Jan Machacek , Apress ISBN: 1-59059-461-4 832 pp.
- JavaServer Faces in Action (In Action series) by Kito Mann, Kito D. Mann ; Manning Publications (November, 2004) ISBN: 1932394125
- Mastering JavaServer Faces (Java) by Bill Dudney, Jonathan Lehr, Bill Willis, LeRoy Mattingly ; John Wiley & Sons (June 7, 2004) ISBN: 0471462071
- Hibernate : A Developer’s Notebookby James Elliott ; Publisher: O’Reilly; 1 edition (May 14, 2004) ISBN: 0596006969
- Beginning Databases With Postgresql: From Novice To Professional (Beginning from Novice to Professional) by Neil Matthew, Richard Stones ; Apress; 1 edition (April 30, 2005) ISBN: 1590594789
- Effective Oracle by Design, Thomas Kyte, McGraw-Hill, ISBN: 0072230657,688 pages, Pub Date: 2003-08-22 (5 copies)
- Oracle PL/SQL More >
Title: Business Process Execution Language Author: Matjaz B. Juric, Benny Mathew, Poornachandra Sarang Published by: Packt Publishing ISBN: 1-904811018-3 Publication Date: 2004 Details: 270pages, $59.99; www.packtpub.com
I recently read this nice book about the growing BPEL standard. The book gives a fairly good overview about what BPEL (Business Process Execution Language) is. The different technologies and standards surrounding web services are explained before the chapters about BPEL start. That introduction introduces the reader quickly into the world of SOA (Service Oriented Architecture).
The following chapter explains the BPEL language with a lot of examples. You should be able to understand the generated BPEL code that design tools generate.
The book ends with a description of the BPEL tools from Oracle and Microsoft. These chapters give you a nive overview of the possibilities of both tools. The Oracle chapter even touches the Java API which can be used to interact with the BPEL engine. This is not standard BPEL functionality, but it really shows the strength of the Oracle product.
My conclusion is that this book gives a nice introduction into the world of SOA and BPEL. More >
The first half of the March shipment has arrived. Some books are in the library, others immediately went home with some of my esteemed colleagues. Some of the books in this shipment:
- Oracle Database 10g XML & SQL: Design, Build & Manage XML Appl. In Java, C, C++ & PL/SQL â€“ Publisher: McGraw-Hill Osborne Media; 1 edition (May 31, 2004) ISBN: 0072229527
- Beginning Oracle Programming , By Sean Dillon, Christoper Beck, Thomas Kyte, Joel Kallman, Howard Rogers, ISBN: 1-59059-286-7 , A-Press, Published: Sep 2003
- Lucene in Action, Erik Hatcher and Otis GospodnetiÄ‡, Foreword by Doug Cutting, the inventor of Lucene December2004, Softbound, 456 pages ISBN 1932394281
- SVG Programming: The Graphical Web by Kurt Cagle # Paperback: 586 pages Publisher: Apress; 1 edition (July 8, 2002) ISBN: 1590590198
- Oracle 10g Data Warehousing, by Lilian Hobbs, Susan Hillson, Shilpa Lawande, Pete Smith Paperback: 872 pages Publisher: Digital Press (November 17, 2004) ISBN: 1555583229
- Effective Oracle by Design, Thomas Kyte, McGraw-Hill, ISBN: 0072230657,688 pages, Pub Date: 2003-08-22
- Oracle PL/SQL Programming, 3rd Edition, By Steven Feuerstein September 2002 ISBN: 0-596-00381-1
- Oracle JDeveloper 10g More >