OOW 2008: The Database – really BIG announcement (industry shocking …)
All the tell tale signs are there: nervous Oracle staff – looking around them to check out whether no one can read their minds, some intriguing but very unspecific rumors, quiet anticipation building like a low rumble in the distance that preceeds a hurricane, the series of Thursday sessions on one new topic that seems to appear out of thin air – and is not mentioned in the sessions prior to Thursday… The conclusion seems unavoidable: on Wednesday, Larry E. will make a big (let’s make that BIG) announcement regarding the database. One that will shock the industry. And until Wednesday: all lips are sealed.
(apparently, some months ago, Larry Ellison said to analysts: "We are not going to sit on our laurels; we have a major database
innovation that we will announce in September of this year. It is going
to be a very big and important announcement for us so we are not
standing still in database." (see: http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/of-gag-orders-excitement-and-new-products/ )
From looking at the conference program, a second conclusion pushes itself to the front: Thursday has at least four sessions on a topic that is not presented on earlier in the week. And that seems to be new. So is that topic then the BIG announcement? Well, the topic is:
‘Database Accelerator’ and one of its taglines: query processing revolutionized.
"New and revolutionary solutions and methodologies are coming together
to handle the exploding data volumes real-world systems are being
required to store and serve up. Supporting ever-larger databases, with
ever-increasing demands for getting â€œanswersâ€ faster and faster
requires a new way to approach the problem. Taking a fresh look at the
challenge reveals new insights. This session looks at the intersection
of database, data warehouse, and storage solutions that will deliver on
these requirements. "
Wednesday afternoon will tell us more…
(note: if this really is the big announcement – the guys over at Mythics are going to have an interesting time ahead of them: Database Accelerator.)
I just noticed Mark has some premonitions about this topic as well: http://www.rittmanmead.com/2008/09/12/so-what-is-oracles-new-database-accelerator/ .
- Oracle Open World 2008 – the show is about to begin – what are this year's stars?
- Advanced Application Development with the Oracle Database – preparing for the RedDatabase Symposium (11th March 2008, Den Haag)
- AMIS presents at JavaOne 2008
- The Pro Active Database – Advanced Application Development with the Oracle Database
- Oracle releases Raptor – free tool for Database Development (SQL, PL/SQL, database object browsing)
- The AMIS Summary of Oracle OpenWorld 2013 is available for download – 60-page white paper
- OOW13 and JavaOne 13: Notes from a Conference – Part Two
- You consolidated your applications in one database, but now one application needs recovery…
- OOW13: Sneak Preview of the Major Announcements?! In-Memory Database, PaaS (Database and Java) and M6 big memory machine
- Het Oracle OpenWorld Preview Evenement (5 september 2013) – 15 sprekers & sessies
- Oracle Database SQL – Recursive Subquery to inspect events in football matches – find the MVP
- Oracle Database 12c: Find most valuable player using MATCH_RECOGNIZE in SQL
- Oracle Database 12c: Flashback Moving Forward
- Oracle Database 12c: quickly create a virtual machine with OEL 6.4 and Oracle Database 12c (for dummies)
- Oracle Database 12c: In-Database Archiving to deal with logically discarded records