Oracle 10g Application Server 10.1.2 New features
It’s not as if this white paper has only just been released (it’s from February 2005). But I only just noticed it. And I think it is worth pointing out that any Oracle/Java Developer should probably take a look at this overview of new features on Oracle 10g Application Server 10.1.2 (http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/pdf/1012_nf_paper.pdf).
Some of the things that struck me, apart from the fact that this release is fully J2EE 1.4 compliant (with support for JCA 1.5, JMS 1.1, JTA 1.0, JNDI 1.2, EJB 2.1,
Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0.), are the following:
- Oracle Business Rules allows application developers to add outstanding agility and transparency to their applications. This is accomplished by allowing business analysts, without depending on programmers, to directly effect application changes reflecting new business policies. Oracle Business Rules are especially suited to
deployment as part of BPEL applications in particular
- JMS Router is a J2EE application packaged in OC4J, that offers reliable message bridging between any of the supported JMS Providers such as: OracleAS JMS, OJMS (AQ/JMS), WebSphereMQ, Tibco JMS, or SonicMQ.
- In addition to JAX-RPC and EJB Web services, OC4J introduces an extensive Web services management framework enabling users to do SOAP message auditing, content-based logging, reliable message delivery and security. Full support for WS-Reliability and WSSecurity
- JDeveloper 10.1.3 – complete support for J2SE 5.0; The new re-factoring framework allows for more powerful and faster re-factoring and adds more than 20 new re-factoring actions. This new framework allows optional searching in non-Java files and in comments and strings in Java source files. New Java code navigations include the ability to navigate using Find Usages, the Hierarchy Browser, Implemented and Overridden margin markers, as well as easy navigation between members.
- Oracle Toplink 10.1.3 – Object/XML mapping based on JAX-B in addition to OO/R mapping; It leverages the Oracle Database with support for Virtual Private Database, XDB-XML type, Flashback, and stored functions.
- OracleBI Discoverer 10g (10.1.2) has many new reporting enhancements including high quality PDF generation, export to PDF, print preview, page layout, and print options. With Discoverer Viewer, users will now be able to email their worksheet content in any of the export formats such as Excel, PDF, HTML, text, CSV and others as an attachment. For users more comfortable with Excel worksheets, Discoverer not only exports data but also exports as Excel pivot tables.
- Instant Portal
- Single Sign On
- BAM – Business Activity Monitoring: Oracle Integration Business Activity Monitoring (BAM) provides out-of-the-box visibility to Critical Business Performance Indicators within an enterprise. A Business Manager is able to monitor, analyze and respond to exceptions that occur within the enterprise in a timely fashion.
- Sensor Edge Server
- Discussion on The Server Side: Comparing Microsoft Yukon (SQL Server 2005, Beta release) with Oracle 10g
- AMIS publishes Extensions for the JHeadstart Application Generator
- Eclipse intergration with JBoss J2EE application server using Lomboz plugin
- Java 5.0 (Tiger) – MetaData and Annotations – Introduction and thoughts on application
- The future of CDM RuleFrame – the Oracle framework for server-side business rules